Tuesday, February 16, 2010

PB Inspired Table Lamp

(image courtesy of potterybarn.com)
I saw this lamp in the Pottery Barn Catalog, and loved it, but not the price tag - $105 + $39 for the lampshade.

Then on one of my "junking trips" I found this lamp...
 
Can you see the price tag?


Yes, a whopping $2!
Well, removal of the brass feet (free), 1 can of white gloss spray paint ($2), and one Wal-Mart lampshade ($15) later here is how it looks.


I think I am going to repaint the base in a satin or flat black, but other than that, I really like how it turned out!
Total Cost of PB Lamp and Shade - $144 + shipping
Total Cost of My Lamp and Shade - $19!

This is going to go in my office that I blogged about here where I am also "borrowing" some of PB's ideas!

I am also working on a great chandelier that I will show you when it is done.

I'm participating in DIY Day at ASPTL,
And in the PB Knock-Off Party at Homebody!

12 comments:

BabiesandBargains said...

looks great love the price tag! I need to start thrifting

Melissa said...

So great! Lamps are soooo expensive when you pay retail! Thanks for the great idea - I'll be looking for some next time I'm out.

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Your lamp looks gorgeous! I'm so glad you mentioned taking off the brass feet. I have a beautiful vintage lamp that I love but something about it has always bugged me. Now I realize it's the feet! I'm going to take them off right now!

Holly said...

I love the PB lamps, and have been keeping my eye out for something similar in the thrift stores. Yours looks totally great!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It looks wonderful. I would never have thought I could transform a LAMP before I started blogging/reading other blogs. I love your *new* lamp. :)

I'm visiting from Holly's PB Knock-Off Party. Here's my link:
http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2010/02/pottery-barn-inspired-kids-table.html

Niki Jolene said...

It turned out great!

:)

I am forever painting my lamps over...a little paint goes a long way.

Sandy said...

Excellent!!

Unknown said...

I like it! I think the base would look great painted black as well, as a contrast to the white lamp. Then it will really look like the PB version!

{northern cottage} said...

wow!! What a huge before & after difference --- great, great results!

Missie said...

Looks great and you can't beat the price. I need to get out to garage sales and thrift stores more.

Sandy said...

Good job, looks great!

Teri said...

Beautiful - love that crisp white! :)