Friday, February 12, 2010

Center Room Worktable/Partners Desk Plans - Pottery Barn Knockoff!!!

I have been working on several projects around the house since the beginning of the year.  The first is my main floor bathroom that I blogged about here, is almost complete, and I will update you on it when it is done. 

My second project is our home office.  About 3 years ago, we gave up or designated den/office so that our two girls could each have their own rooms.  We moved the office to the least used room in the house, our dining room.  We never had nice matched organized furniture in our office, which didn't really matter, because no one was ever really in there except my hubby and myself.  But now that it has been moved to one of the most visible rooms in our home, it is driving me crazy.

We want a large worktable in the middle of the room where we each have our own space, but can take over the others when needed for big projects for ourselves or when the kids have school projects that need a lot of space.  Also something that could double as a dining table (add a table cloth) when needed.  I found this at Pottery Barn Teens and love it, with the exception of four things.

 Picture from Pottery Barn Teens
  • We only needed space for 2, 
  • We want it in black,
  • The square size would not fit right in our rectangular dining room space,
  • and THE PRICE!!! - $1,599!!!
So being crafty, creative, and cheap I decided to take their idea and make it work for us.  Here is my drawing...


I know it is kind of hard to see, but I will post more pictures as it comes to life...

Here is a picture of the file cabinets we are using for the bases...

 

I found them, of all places, at K-mart!  For $29 each!  They are MDF, but pretty solid for "assemble it yourself furniture" and even have thick MDF backs (not the carboard tack on back that most have).  I never go to Kmart, but was at Menards the other day getting some stuff for my bathroom project and just had a whim to go across the street and see what they had, and I found these.  They were even black like we wanted!  SCORE!!!
The top will be 4'x 6'  3/4" MDF also painted black, but it will also have 2 drop leaves of each of the long sides that are 1' wide each (thus using the entire 4'x8' sheet, but not taking up too much space in the room when the extra length is not needed!!!  I get the best ideas at 11:30 pm while laying in bed trying to sleep!

I got the idea for the movable table/desk divider last night while laying in bed, and will post more on that as it comes together - it is really one of those things that is easier to describe when you see it!  But just suffice it to say it is Genius, and I already have the main piece I need to make it!

Well, I have 2 more of those file cabinets to put together, so I'd better get to it!  I hope you enjoyed this peak into my creative mind!

This post is being shared on Miss Mustard Seeds - Furniture Feature Friday! DIY Day at ASPTL, and  PB Knock-Off Party 

9 comments:

Marianne said...

Good luck with this project. You found some wonderful inspiration.

René said...

I can't wait to see the outcome. I love your ideas!

Reunion Committee said...

Wow that looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished room!
Great job
~Tana

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Hi! Stopping over from Homebody. $29 was the regular price?! That's fantastic! Can't wait to see the end result!

Holly said...

Wow, this is going to be fabulous! Thanks for linking up...do me a favor and add my link to your post, k?

Holly said...

Sorry, I see the link now. Thanks!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a neat project! You'll be so proud of it when you're done...better price and probably better looking. :) I like the black bases!

I'm visiting from Holly's PB Knock-Off Party. Here's my link:
http://serenitynow4amanda.blogspot.com/2010/02/pottery-barn-inspired-kids-table.html

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Very cool idea. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Good for you for taking this on.

PS~Erin said...

So have you finished this project? It sounds so awesome and exactly what we need in our dining room to office transformation.