Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Banana Bread Everywhere!


My mom always makes the best banana bread. One of her tricks is that when bananas start to turn brown, she pops them in the freezer and saves them for making banana bread. I have followed in her footsteps and throw my overripe bananas in the freezer, and when I have a whole slew of them, I take a morning (or in this case maybe an entire day), and make batch after batch of banana bread! Yum!


Well, being a crazy busy summer, the bananas have accumulated to a point where they were literally clogging up my freezer! So I am in the middle of making 5 double batches of banana bread! Some even have chocolate chips in them!


I am the messiest cook ever, and I hate doing dishes...



So it makes sense that if I am going to make this big mess, I may as well make the most of it, make a ton of bread using all the same utensils and then only have to clean up once!


Each double batch makes 3 standard size loafs or 3 small and one standard size. Needless to say some friends and neighbors will be the lucky recipients of my freezer "De-clutter" day!'

What I love about my mom's banana bread recipe is that the bread is "dense". I know that sounds weird, but I have never tasted banana bread like hers anywhere, and anytime I have other banana bread, it just makes me appreciate my mom's even more.

If you would like to try her recipe, here it is. If you do, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think of it.


Mom's Best Banana Bread EVER!

Preheat oven to 350 - grease/spray loaf pan.

Beat 1/4 C soft butter or marg., 1 C sugar & 1 egg until smooth.

Add 1 C mashed ripe banana (you can always use more - I usually use about a cup and a half because I have so many bananas to use!), and 1/2 C milk. Mix well.

Mix 2 1/2 C Flour, 3 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Beat together until well combined - batter will be thick. If adding chocolate chips, I add a half bag here.

Pour into pan and smooth top with spatula.

Bake 1 hour, let cool on wire rack 10 min, turn out and let cool completely. Wrap in foil - refrigerate or freeze. ENJOY!

1 comment:

Lori McDonough said...

that sounds super yummy and i'm going to try Aunt M's recipe for my next batch. Wish i was your neighbor {for lots of reasons, not just cuz i want a loaf!}